We should guard carefully what we allow to come into our souls. For whatever a person allows to come into their souls they will become. This will define the spirit that is within you. If you have allowed or are living in sin and making your own rules up as you go along rather that living by the word of God, then you are allowing a different identity to live within your body and soul instead of the identity that God intended for you. This will only cause you pain and heartache. God intended for us to live a life full of peace and joy,that all might be well with our souls. Lets take a look at what sin and our own choices can do to us and what Jesus has done to restore us to who we really are and He intended for us to be.
Because of Sin,Man’s Spirit Is Born Dead To God
Man’s choice to live independently of God brought about spiritual death. Spiritual death is the separation of man’s spirit from God.
Man’s separation from God affected all three parts of his nature.
Being separated from God,the human spirit could know longer receive revelation from God; therefore,man’s soul began to determine truth for himself. Void of truth as God defines it, man’s mind becamed deceived, lacking spiritual understanding,believing lies as truth. With his mind deceived, his will became rebellious,and his emotions became controlling. His body began to die and become an instrument of sin.
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God.
For they exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshipped and served the creature rather than the creator, who is blessed forever. Amen
Believing lies as truth, man lived to gratify himself and to meet his own needs. Having his focus in life on himself, man became selfish and prone to sinful behavior. This is the condition of which we are all born: self-serving and enslaved to sin.
And just as they did not see fit to acknowledge God any longer,God gave them over to a depraved mind., to do those things which are not proper,being filled with unrighteousness,… and, although they know the ordinances of God, that those who practice such things are worthy of death,they not only do the same, but also give hearty approval to those who practice them.
Leaves = Body
Mortal,weakened and dying
Disobedient to God’s ways
Mind darkened, beliefs corrupted
Will enslaved to sin, self-serving
Spirit dead to God, alive to sin
Desired to please self
Child of satan
Jesus Christ Restores God’s Image In Us
Christ death upon the cross accomplished more than the forgiveness of our sins.The cross is the instrument of death for our old nature and identity. When Christ died our old sinful nature died with Him. When Christ was buried our old identity was buried with Him. When Christ was raised from the dead, we were raised with Him to a brand new life:
- Old sinful nature was crucified with Christ;
For we know our old self was crucified with Him so that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves to sin.
- Are spirit is made new and in dwelt by Christ’s spirit ( Romans 8:9-10);
- Our spirit is now dead to sin and alive to God (Romans 6:11); and
- We are a new creation with a totally new identity.
Therefore,if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!
2 Corinthians 5:17
Christ has given us a brand new identity.
As spirit born children of God, we have a new nature and identity. God’s word describes how sees us. God no longer judges according to our deeds or performance. but according to our spirit. As God’s children we are:
- Totally and completely forgiven ( Ephesians 1:7 Colossians 2:13-14);
- Completely acceptable and accepted ( Romans 15:7 Ephesians 1:4);
- Absolutely righteous (Ephesians 4:24-2 Corinthians 5:21
- Perfect in Christ (Hebrews 10:14);
- Holy and blameless(Colossians 2:10);
- Complete ,whole, and adequate (Colossians 2:10);
- Possessing the mind of Christ (1 Corinthians 2:16 and
- Loving,joyful,peaceful,patient,kind,etc (Galatians 5:22-23)
Our spirit is now in dwelt by God’s Spirit:
- Our spirit has been sealed with the Holy Spirit ( Ephesians 1-13);
- We are now one spirit with Christ ( 1 Corinthians 6:17);
- Our body is the temple of the Holy Spirit (Corinthians 3:16) and
- The Holy Spirit desires to live through our soul and body. ( Galatians 2:20)